Ball Ground received its name from the “stick ball” competitions of the earliest native American citizens. According to legend, Cherokees competed successfully with their Creek neighbors, winning the prize of a thousand square miles of land.
The development of the North Georgia Railroad in the early 1880’s contributed to the establishment of the town. Land was donated to the railroad by the following for the town site: Ancil Bearden, Ellen Byers, Hester A. Byers, J.W. Byers, Berty Carpenter, J. C. Carpenter, Martha Carpenter, Sarah E. Carpenter, M. F. Hawkins, N. A. Lyon, P. H. Lyon, and F. M. Waldrup. Their goal was realized when the railroad officially laid off the land into town lots and held a sale in April 1882. Within two years, there were approximately 250 citizens in the town.
Marble finishing was the primary industry for over 75 years. The Roberts Marble Company had begun before 1880 and grew with the establishment of Ball Ground. Tate marble was utilized. At least four more companies operated out of Ball Ground, Standard Marble Company, Consumers Monument Company, and Roberts Marble Company and “Little” Roberts Marble Company. The Amicalola Railroad was also established in the late 1880’s, connecting Ball Ground to the Pickens Co. marble quarries.
Source: The Heritage of Cherokee County Georgia 1831-1998