Hickory Flat Community was made up of stores, mills, schools and churches, as all communities were in the 1920’s and the 1930’s. The old store, cotton gin and corn mill were located where the present store and Biscuit Barn are today.
The Forrester Brothers ran the cotton gin and corn mill during the 20’s. They were followed by Bart Manous during the 30’s. Power for the mills came from steam, and changed to gas engines later. The mills also sawed logs for the building industry.
Hickory Flat was one of the first communities to have what was called a consolidated school, a one and two teacher school in the community. Prior to rural mail delivery, Hickory Flat had a post office. According to Bill Garrett, Jones Mercantile Company also had a store in Hickory Flat. It sold merchandise and bought cotton from the farmers.
Source: The Heritage of Cherokee County Georgia 1831-1998