Holly Springs is located about midway between Woodstock and Canton. It apparently took its name from a spring west of town that was surrounded by holly trees. The spring was undoubtedly a gathering place for Indians before the White man came and then later used by travelers, miners, and prospectors.
It was incorporated in 1906. Families living here in the early part of the century included Chapmans, DeLays, Flemings, Hardins, Kelleys, Kings, Ragsdales, Roaches, Satterfields, Sims and Tates.
Source: The Heritage of Cherokee County Georgia 1831-1998